Monday, June 03, 2013

Holding Time



I’ve written before about the fleeting moments of childhood rushing by me.  I was reminded of it again today as I watched my preschooler almost turned big kid.
 
He’s all boy, my Zachary.  Always smiling his dimpled grin – big blue eyes sparkling.  Today he was so hungry at the restaurant that he ate his spaghetti and his two sister’s also – using two forks to shovel everything in – grinning ear to ear, mouth stuffed.

He took his first shower today and laughed in delight at the water running down on him – inching further and further under it.  Shaking, wiggling, shimmying around.  

I forget that even at five there is so much for him to discover.  Yesterday a neighbor let him ride his battery powered car with real gear shifter, accelerator and brake.  He hit the accelerator for the first time, bubbling cackle infectious.  

Preschool is almost over and big kid school looms on the horizon.  I can’t imagine him not home with me…can’t imagine him all spiffed up in his school uniform, backpack, and lunchbox in tow and yet this reality is a few months away.  How can I hold onto this time?  I feel helpless under its ever flowing current.  

God puts us here to care for these small ones for such a short time and yet the day-to-day can swallow us up if we allow it – I have often and too easily allowed it.  Today I aim for consistency in capturing the wonder, recording the moments, priceless memories and gratitude for this gift of motherhood – even if fleeting.

No comments: