Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Sound of the Tea Kettle Years ago, at Grandma’s house, the sound of the tea kettle called us to every meal. Sturdy and shiny with no top – only the small spout to fill with water. We came and ate and she sipped…and I will never forget. Tea unites us… Brother’s red tea in a far away land Mom’s Lipton for everyday iced tea Grandma’s Salada so hard to find Best friend’s green tea in all forms – hot, cold, sweetened, bottled Lost friend’s cinnamon spice Niece’s chai Father in law’s room temperature black tea Friend’s herbal spiced tea Sister’s Oh My Chai! My love - out drinking white tea Sweetened, unsweetened, milk, cream, hot, cold, tea latte… The tea kettle – its soft whistle unites us – binds us together in friendship, love, and connects us when we are miles apart. Memories, warmth, soothing, peaceful. It’s cold, my friends…turn on the tea kettle…I’ll be there with you in spirit.

No comments: